One is more obvious then the other. One has had a great regular season career, while the other has yet to play in more than 9 games in one season. However I love Matt Ryan and Kevin Kolb in week 6 of fantasy football, and here’s why:
Ryan, in standard scoring leagues, is currently the second ranked player overall in fantasy, 6 points behind Drew Brees. He is also second in the NFL in passer rating, third in passing yards, fifth in completion %, and second in touchdown passes. So why wouldn’t I love him each and every week, and why week 6 more than others?
Well one major focal point in fantasy sports is your players match-up, and this week Ryan’s match-up is a great one facing the Raiders. The Raiders:
- ranks 31st in fantasy against QBs, allowing 22.0 ppg
- rank 25th in overall defense in the NFL, allowing 411.0 ypg
- rank 28th in pass defense, allowing 283 ypg
- ranks 30th with 31.5 ppg allowed
Ryan is also playing at home this weekend, where he has been historically good, where through his career,including this season, Ryan has thrown 54 TDs vs. 19 INT
Kolb is not your prototypical fantasy stud, however he has somethings working for him entering week 6. For starters, whether he performs poorly or not, he is going to air the ball out, a lot. That’s because the Cardinals have no real run-game to speak with Williams and Wells out with injuries for some time. Kolb also had 7 Tds vs. 2 Int in 4 and a half games this season. It also doesn’t hurt that he is still throwing to Larry Fitzgerald, and the emerging Floyd and Roberts. Also, like Ryan, Kolb’s match-up this week is a dream-come-true for owner sof Kolb as he faces the Bills who:
- rank last in points allowed to opposing QBs (22.8 ppg)
- rank 24th in the NFL in passing yards allowed/game with 277 yards.
- ranks 31st in the NFL in total defense, allowing 449.4 ypg
- rank 31st in NFL allowing 35.2ppg